One of the major changes in vCenter Server Appliance 6.7 is simplifying the architecture by running all vCenter Server services on a single instance. Support for vCenter Server with Embedded PSC with Enhanced Linked Mode. The major benefits of vCenter server appliance with Embedded PSC are..
- No load balancer required for high availability and fully supports native vCenter Server High Availability.
- SSO Site boundary removal provides flexibility of placement.
- Supports vSphere scale maximums.
- Allows for 15 deployments in a vSphere Single Sign-On Domain.
- Reduces the number of nodes to manage and maintain.
This post will cover the installation of vCenter Server Appliance 6.7 with an embedded Platform Services Controller. The basic
pre-requisites for vCenter server appliance 6.7 are.
- Stable NTP server.
- DNS A record for vCenter appliance (forward , reverse both) – vcenter-vc01.sslab.com (192.168.1.213)
- Compute and storage resources for deploying vCenter appliance.
Installing VMWare vCenter Server 6.7
Step 11: Provide below details for the vCenter server
- Select VM Network used by vCenter server
- IP assignment : static
- FQDN : vcenter-vc01.sslab.com
- IP address: 192.168.1.213
- Mask: 255.255.255.0
- gateway: 192.168.1.1
- DNS Servers: 192.168.1.150
leave other defaults and next
Step 13: With this Stage 1 is completed, Click Continue to start stage 2. Some times stage 2 will fail if you click continue due to the DNS records not present for vCenter or the DNS lookup for vCenter url is not working from the machine from which you are running installer.
Note: if by chance this window is closed stage2 can be done anytime later using https://fqdn-of-vcenter-server:5480 url.
Note:Take a snapshot of the vCenter VM before moving to Stage 2. If it fails we need to just revert to snapshot and start again.
Setup vCenter Server Appliance with Embedded PSC
vCenter Post Installation Configuration
Once the installation is finished few basic post installation steps will help improve the way we use the vcenter server. they are listed below.
Create DataCenter, Cluster & Add Host
Change SSO Account Expiry
The default SSO administrator will expire after 90 days. Most of the time we forget to reset it on site. So its better to remove expiry and allow domain users to manage vcenter.
Add Identity Source (LDAP)
Its a good idea to manage the vCenter server with domain users, below steps will help to achieve that.
Step 37: provide ldap information as shown below.
- Name: SomeName
- BaseDN for users: dc=sslab,dc=com
- BaseDN for groups: dc=sslab,dc=com
- domain name: sslab.com
- domain alias : sslab
- username : firstname.lastname@example.org
- password: password for above accout
Or Domain Controller can be specified as LDAP server as shown below
Step 39: review that its added
Adding Active Directory Group as Admins
Configuring vCenter Built in Update manager
With this vCenter 6.7 with Embedded PSC installation and configuration is completed.
Hope this post is useful, Leave your comments and feedback..